Florida International University has announced plans for an expansion of the Wellness and Recreation Center at the university’s Modesto A. Maidique Campus in west Miami-Dade. The completion date is set for the fall of 2017.
“Recreation centers are essential in helping us to provide wellness services to our students,” Larry Lunsford, vice-president for FIU’s Division of Student Affairs, said in a news release.. “Today, rec centers are also a place for relaxation and socialization. We know that exercise is good for your health, both physically and mentally, and healthy students do better in school.”
The project is funded with $22.8 million from the Florida Capital Improvement Trust Fund, $2.4-million over three years from FIU’s Student Government Association and $600,000 from FIU’s Department of Housing.
The existing space is 50,000 sq. ft. The expansion will add more than 60,000 sq. ft. in addition to 15,000 sq. ft. of outdoor recreational space.
Construction is set to begin spring 2016.
The recreation center will include:
- A three-court basketball gymnasium, for a total of five indoor courts
- 6,600 sq. ft. of fitness space to accommodate state-of-the-art cardio equipment
- A 6,500-sq. ft. strength room
- 3,000 sq. ft. of additional men’s and women’s locker rooms, including two gender-neutral shower/changing rooms and two gender-neutral bathrooms
- Three fitness rooms dedicated to Spinning ; martial arts and mind/body fitness; and small-group, functional training
- A racquetball/squash convertible court, plus one dedicated racquetball court
- An indoor jogging/walking track
- Two outdoor basketball courts
- A sand volleyball court surrounded with outdoor seating
“I know it will be an excellent facility for us,” said Robert Frye, director of FIU’s Wellness & Recreation Center – MMC. “The expansion will give us a competitive edge since we’ll be able to offer students, faculty, and staff more wellness and exercise options.”