Florida Construction News staff writer
The City of Sarasota’s planning department is hosting a virtual public input session starting at 5:30 p.m. today (Nov. 16) regarding a zoning text amendment to create three new mixed-use zone districts along commercial corridors and commercial centers to incentivize on-site attainable housing.
The meeting will be held via Zoom and participants can register at https://sarasotafl-gov.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_DB4OOm0bSKGPR1rOYOVdWw
The purpose of the urban mixed-use zone districts is to identify existing commercial corridors and commercial centers for appropriate mixed-use development to encourage attainable housing.
The Urban Mixed-Use land use classification and implementing urban mixed-use zone districts are founded upon the concepts of “New Urbanism” in an effort to attract compact mixed-use developments that provide housing and workplaces within close proximity.
The Zoom meeting will include discussions on:
- Comprehensive Plan vs. Zoning
- History of what the City Commission has already approved
- Proposed density bonus when attainable housing is provided on-site
- Development and design standards for urban mixed-use zone districts
- Development and design standards for commercial centers