Construction of the Henry E. Kinney Tunnel improvements and Pedestrian Plaza project is on track to be completed in late 2022, the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) said in a recent update.
Lead Engineering Contractors started work on the 3.14 mile stretch in September 2021.
The $28.4 million project is partially sponsored by the City of Fort Lauderdale and will construct the signature tunnel top extension portion and improve the existing plaza; a total of $11 million was allocated for the extension.
- rehabilitating the structural, mechanical, electrical, architectural, and safety components of the Henry E. Kinney Tunnel
- milling and resurfacing SR 5/ US-1 from Rio Vista Boulevard to the south of the Tunnel
- installing Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) along SR 5/ US-1
- extending the tunnel top to accommodate a pedestrian plaza which will include new fountains, seating brick pavers, artificial turf, and landscape installation
- reconstructing the intersection of Las Olas Boulevard at SE 6th Avenue